Auckland Town Hall
Auckland’s Town Hall was opened in 1911 and was designed by prominent Melbourne architect’s EJ and J J Clarke.
It’s first major strengthening and refurbishment was carried out between 1993-1997 and began with the writing of a conservation plan for the building by Ian Bowman.
As the only ICCROM trained stone architect conservator in New Zealand Ian was required to carry out a stone by stone condition survey to specify stone repairs as a key part
of the conservation project.
Ian was project manager on behalf of the Auckland City Council for the first stage of strengthening and conserving the tower and prow, and was then conservation architect with Jasmax Architects and Town Hall Architects Group.
The project won a BOMA Building Award and a NZIA Architectural Award.